please review 'application/pdf' -- new version

Larry Masinter LMM at acm.org
Wed Dec 17 18:51:15 CET 2003

> that's certainly better than the original text.  however, I still
don't
> want IETF endorsing Adobe's insistence that PDF permissions inherently

> reflect the content-owner's intent, nor that viewer authors "must"
take
> away legitimate rights from those who are reading the documents -
which
> are not completely the content-owner's to control.
>
> would you folks please stop trying to screw the public?

Keith,

It's a little hard to work through your conspiracy-theory
approach to the topic. Certainly I can assure you that
there is no intent to "try to screw the public". I'm not
sure what in the document would need to change.

Certainly a protocol that contains an ACL represents the
intent of the sender of the ACL about the access to the
data that is intended to be controlled by that ACL.

In any case, the IETF, when publishing an informational document, does
not "endorse" the document or any IPR rights claimed in it --
in fact, there's a specific disclaimer included:

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights....

Would you like a specific reference to that disclaimer
in the body of the document?

Larry