please review 'application/pdf'

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Dec 8 07:09:23 CET 2003

Larry,

Thinking about this some more -

There are lots of protocols that specify things like access permissions
- NFS for instance.  We don't have a problem with these.  But we don't
try to equate NFS permissions with copyright restrictions, nor do we
threaten NFS implementors whose implementations allow users to ignore
or circumvent those permissions.  There are several good reasons for
ignoring or circumventing those permissions, and we don't expect
computer programs to be able to distinguish the cases where there are
good reasons from those where the reasons are bad - indeed we cannot
anticipate all of the good reasons in advance.

In most 2-party protocols we expect 'server' hosts to protect resources
on those hosts, acting in the interests of the server.  We expect
client programs to act in the interest of the client, not those of the
content provider.  We would regard any design that provided a way for
clients to break access permissions, and merely trusted them not to do
so, as unsound.  (For instance, this is why use of source port numbers
< 1024 to prove that you're privileged isn't acceptable.)

Here's how I think this breaks down:

If Adobe wants to point out that there is such a thing as access
permissions in PDF, that's merely providing information which might be
useful to the reader.

If Adobe wants to claim that circumventing or ignoring these
permissions is violating copyright law, that is at best an exaggeration
and at worst dangerously misleading for a variety of reasons.  IETF
should not lend its imprimatur to such statements.

If Adobe is going to try to legally screw anyone who implements PDF in
a way that doesn't enforce access permissions, then giving potential
implementors warning of that policy in the media type registration is
in some sense the least Adobe could do.  And if the mechanism by which
Adobe hopes to screw such implementors is by claiming that the
implementors are violating their "copyright" on data structures, this
is pretty similar to reasons that we have IPR statements in other
documents.   Just as with patent claims, IETF shouldn't make any
comment on the legal validity of this theory.

But  if Adobe is going to have that policy, I don't think IETF should
be helping to promote PDF by publishing this as an RFC - the most we
should do is update the media-type registration.  Furthermore, IETF
should stop supporting the use of PDF in Internet-Drafts and RFCs, in
favor of some other format that is freely usable.