Language for taxonomic names, redux

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Thu Mar 2 22:45:42 CET 2017

Den 2017-03-02 20:45, skrev "Yury Tarasievich" <yury.tarasievich at gmail.com>:

> Linnaeus' system was binomial, but don't we have
tri- and quadri-nomial (?)
> taxon names these days?

I think the tag ('la-linnaei', or whatever Michael settles on) should be
applicable to all species *and* species group names, at various levels.
Like "Eukaryota", "Plantae", "Orthomyxoviridae" (yes, a group of viruses),
"Cantharellales", etc. Not just the bi/tri/...-nomial names (like
"Saccharomyces cerevisiae" or "Fusarium graminearum deltaflexivirus 1").

Some such names are translated (e.g. "Basidiomycota"->"Basidiesvampar",
but the scientific names are still Latin(ish). The translations should
not be tagged 'la-linnaei'.

I guess this kind of naming would apply to names of entirely artificially
created species as well (yes, such are being created;
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-
form, though this one seems to be a variety of a pre-exiting species, not an
entirely new one). Would probably also apply to exo-species (if we ever
find any) that we (as in humankind) get to name...

/Kent K