Language for taxonomic names, redux

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:45:00 CET 2017

On 02/03/17 22:02, John Cowan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Kent Karlsson
>     'la-linnaei'?
> 'Linnaea', presumably, agreeing with 'lingua'
> understood.

I think the entity in question is more precisely
denoted by the functional description '-taxon',
than by the originator description '-linn*'.

Also, '-taxon' is more generalised, and so not a
subject to minute distinctions, which might be
of little practical use.

I understand there were some modifications to
the initial principle afterwards, hardly
attributable to Linnaeus -- pseudo-Latin?
Linnaeus' system was binomial, but don't we have
tri- and quadri-nomial (?) taxon names these days?

-Yury