Need decisions on proposed new and updated subtags

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jan 31 18:28:19 CET 2017

I have not seen the usage case that was claimed for this -t- mechanism, and I asked for it specifically. I know the usage case for en-spanglis and es-spanglis: It is to describe texts written, and published (for sale, even) in a contact dialect. The choice of prefix is a choice to be made by the tagger, and it’s impossible to rigidly apply percentages of mixing because that could vary from paragraph to paragraph and from sentence to sentence.

I do not believe that any customers are asking for a user interface written in Spanglish (or any of the other combinations based on 7847 language tags). (Shawn Steele also complained that he could not see any need to use such an -t- mechanism for “locale selection.)

I am minded approve Spanglish tomorrow, unless, Doug, you think another two-week extension would have some merit.

I am not tempted to register a primary subtag ’spanglis’, though I remember you proposed this.

Michael Everson