Language for taxonomic names, redux

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Feb 26 18:55:57 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Arthur Reutenauer <
arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:

> > It has rules for words yet non-existing, and so is assuredly beyond the
> > vocabulary, which is a mere collection of existing words.
>
>   Yes: the rules of Latin.

Well, not quite:  the letters "v" and "w" are distinct in Linnaean Latin,
which is not the case in other Latin varieties, and as I noted earlier,
anglicisms like "ck" are permitted in Linnaean Latin but would be spelled
"cc" in earlier Latin.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by
dwarves.
        --Murray Gell-Mann