Language for taxonomic names, redux

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Feb 22 22:57:05 CET 2017

A concern I have about this request is the precedent that might be
perceived by people requesting subtags in the future for other
collections of terminology or things that aren't really "language
varieties" in the BCP 47 sense, such as legal or medical jargon.

I'm sure Andy feels that taxonomic nomenclature is different from these,
and would not set such a precedent, but folks looking for justification
for subsequent requests would probably see it differently.

The Reviewer and this group would need to be extra careful to consider
each request on its own merits, and not allow this one to prop the
floodgates open.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org