"Fransin" simplified orthography for French

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Feb 13 13:47:40 CET 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:04:44PM -0700,
 Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote
 a message of 284 lines which said:

> Briefly, the request is for a variant subtag to represent a
> simplified orthography for French. It's not clear yet whether this
> system is actually in use by anyone other than the inventors, which
> of course is important.

Never heard of it in France, never seen it used.

> The nicely formatted version (in French) can be found at the web
> site noted at the top of the post.

There are many disturbing things. It claims to be based on
pronunciation. As a consequence, it loses some differences which exist
only in writing. For instance, "j'irai" (I will go) and "j'irais" (I
could go) are rendered by the same "j'iré", making the written form as
ambiguous as the spoken one (is it a progress?)

But it is not even consistent. It uses "é" for both "é" and "è" (which
have very different pronunciations in french) and it uses either "un"
or "in" for the same sound ("pain", "commun"...)