request for subtag for Elfdalian

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 11 12:59:18 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 11:01:53AM +0900, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> This somehow made me think again of the situation re. German. In part 3,
> there are various codes to somehow cover the dialectal range of German,
> mostly from North to South.

  There is a similar situation in Italy, with a different geographical
distribution, of course.  Come to think of it, it would be interesting
to compile a map of Europe with the languages that have an ISO 639-3
code, and compare it with the political map.

>                                 one that is recognized, Swiss German,
> doesn't exactly correspond to the often used code (gsw), because the code
> includes parts of South Germany and Alsatian

  Which makes it all the more interesting that OpenType has a language
code for Alsatian (ALS), but none of the other parts covered by gsw.
Harfbuzz maps it to gsw-FR in BCP 47, which I think is sensible.

	Best,

		Arthur