Adding ISO 3166-1 codes for Eurozone (EZ), United Nations (UN)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Jun 28 19:42:18 CEST 2016

Mark Davis wrote:

> I was looking at ISO 3166-1 data today, and found to my surprise that
> there are two exceptionally reserved codes that are missing from
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry.
> As per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-2.2.4 part 2, we
> include the "exceptionally reserved" codes (with the exception of
> 'UK', a duplicate of 'GB') in the subtag registry.
>
> Those two codes are:
> EZ — Refers to European OTC derivatives and reserved at the request of
> ISO 6166/RA, Securities - International securities identification
> numbering system (ISIN).
> UN — Refers to the United Nations and reserved by the ISO 3166
> Maintenance Agency.

This came as a surprise to me as well. I periodically scrape the OBP
files for assigned code elements, but missed the fact that EZ and UN
were now listed as exceptionally reserved.

I'm not sure when these changes were made. Obviously they were after the
publication of RFC 5645 in 2009. I found a note from March 2014 on the
Wikipedia talk page for "ISO 3166-1 alpha-2" that indicates the changes
had already been made.

Section 2.2.4 actually just says that the exceptionally reserved code
elements in existence at the time of publication (2009) were added to
the Registry, not that new ones would also be added. RFC 5645 doesn't
promise that either. But it is strongly implied, and probably everyone's
expectation, so these will be added.

> Doug, could you please start the update process? If you don't have
> time, please let me know and I can fill out the forms. It would be
> useful to do this quickly, so that the upcoming version of CLDR can
> correctly represent these codes.

Paperwork will be posted to ietf-languages today or tomorrow, for
"Eurozone" and "United Nations."

> (I don't know that EZ will be particularly useful, but that's the way
> the process works — there are other codes that are of limited
> usefulness ...)

Neither of them is of any use for language identification, or really for
locale identification either, any more so than EU.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org