Adding ISO 3166-1 codes for Eurozone (EZ), United Nations (UN)

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Jun 28 11:55:54 CEST 2016

Doug

I was looking at ISO 3166-1 data today, and found to my surprise that there
are two exceptionally reserved codes that are missing from
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry.
As per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-2.2.4 part 2, we include
the "exceptionally reserved" codes (with the exception of 'UK', a duplicate
of 'GB') in the subtag registry.

Those two codes are:
EZ — Refers to European OTC derivatives and reserved at the request of ISO
6166/RA, Securities - International securities identification numbering
system (ISIN).
UN — Refers to the United Nations and reserved by the ISO 3166 Maintenance
Agency.

Doug, could you please start the update process? If you don't have time,
please let me know and I can fill out the forms. It would be useful to do
this quickly, so that the upcoming version of CLDR can correctly represent
these codes.

(I don't know that EZ will be particularly useful, but that's the way the
process works — there are other codes that are of limited usefulness ...)

Mark

===========

DATA

The exceptionally reserved codes are found at
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search/code/

Pick
"Country Codes"
"Other Codes"
"Exceptionally Reserved"

You see 12 values. Of those, only 'EZ' and 'UN' are missing from the subtag
registry (other that 'UK', which is specifically excluded by BCP47).

AC — Refers to Ascension Island and reserved at the request of Universal
Postal Union (UPU)
CP — Refers to Clipperton Island and reserved at the request of
International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
DG — Refers to Diego Garcia and reserved at the request of International
Telecommunication Union (ITU)
EA — Refers to Ceuta, Melilla and reserved at the request of World Customs
Organization (WCO).
EU — Refers to European Union and reserved at the request of ISO 4217/MA
(March 1998) for ISO 6166, Securities - International securities
identification numbering system (ISIN).
*EZ — Refers to European OTC derivatives and reserved at the request of ISO
6166/RA, Securities - International securities identification numbering
system (ISIN).*
FX — France, Metropolitan - Refers to Metropolitan France and reserved at
the request of France.
IC — Refers to the Canary Islands and reserved at the request of World
Customs Organization (WCO)
SU — USSR - Refers to the former USSR and reserved at the request of the
Foundation for Internet Development (FID).
TA — Refers to Tristan da Cunha and reserved at the request of Universal
Postal Union (UPU).
UK — Refers to the United Kingdom and reserved at the request of United
Kingdom.