request for subtag for Elfdalian

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Fri Jan 22 14:42:30 CET 2016

I'm not sure why they responded this way (with a reference to a masters
thesis in German). Linguistically,
älvdalian is more different from Swedish than Norwegian or even Danish. And
usually the RA is more
on the "separating" than "lumping" side.

For those who remember the request to have a language code for (modern
day!!) Scanian (skånska):
Modern day Scanian is a relatively mild dialect of Swedish (not at all
similar to Danish, in relative
terms). So that request (from the king of Scania, no less... ;-) was
correctly rejected. The request
for a code for älvdalian, however, is different. It should have been
accepted. It is genuinely different
from (standard) Swedish to a great extent. True, there are many dialects of
Swedish, but this is
more than a dialect, älvalian is a separate language, official status as
minority language or language
continuum in the region of Dalarna notwithstanding.

Read more at http://spraktidningen.se/blogg/tredje-gangen-gillt-alvdalskan
and
http://spraktidningen.se/artiklar/2008/11/alvdalska-eget-sprak-eller-varstin
g-bland-dialekter