Latin Variants

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Feb 27 14:06:10 CET 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:34:44PM +0000, Andrew Dunning wrote:
> I was waiting to see whether there were any objections to the premise of having variant tags for this in the first place; I am not concerned about what they are named. Going off the model of the English variants (e.g. emodeng), I might suggest something like this:
>
> - Classical Latin = la-classlat
> - Medieval Latin = la-medlat
> - Neo-Latin = la-neolat

  I would also be interested in subtags to describe specific
orthographical variants of Latin.  I have a use case of an application
with three such variants: one where ‘u’ is used as both a vowel and a
consonant (and ‘v’ is thus not used at all); one where ‘ae’ and ‘oe’ are
rendered as ‘æ’ and ‘œ’ respectively, and one that uses ‘u’, ‘v’, ‘ae’,
and ‘oe’.  I’m happy to submit forms for these, although I am have no
idea what the subtag could be called.

	Best,

		Arthur