Registration request for Spanglish

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Dec 28 22:24:37 CET 2016

Michael Everson wrote:

> Type: variant
> Subtag: spanglis
>   of English and Spanish
> Prefix: en
> Prefix: es
> Comments:

Can we move the explanatory information to the Comments field, instead
of making it part of a lengthy Description? Something more like:

Prefix: en
Prefix: es
Comments: Name given to a variety of contact dialects of English and
  Spanish

> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
> Spanglish is a name given to a variety of contact dialects of English
> and Spanish. Text may be essentially in Spanish with a large
> percentage of English loanwords (some of which are naturalized to
> Spanish grammar), or it may be in English with a large percentage of
> Spanish loanwords, or in the continuum between them. A judgement call
> by the tagger is expected to be made with regard to the base prefix to
> be used.

Have we considered the matching scenario for two Spanglish texts, one of
which is considered to lean slightly toward "English with a lot of
Spanish mixed in" and the other which is judged to be "Spanish with a
lot of English mixed in"? Normally the variant subtag is considered
least important in matching, but here it would have to be the most
important.

The matching question is important, because with no expectation of
matching, there would be little point in assigning tags in the first
place.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org