Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 163, Issue 7

Elizabeth Pyatt ejp10 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:25:45 CET 2016

To me, the Little Prince passage looks like it’s mostly Spanish with some individual English words inserted. Compare with the following passage from Toribio (2001) where code-switching children switch between languages for entire phrases ans sentences.

I would tag the Little Prince passage as lang=“es"

> On Dec 18, 2016, at 1:55 PM, ietf-languages-request at alvestrand.no wrote:
>
> An example of Spanglish (from a published translation of The Little Prince):
>
> Cuando yo tenía seis años, encontré un beautiful dibujo en un book llamado True cuentos sobre una jungle. El book mostraba una boa constrictora tragándose un wild animal. Esta es la copia del dibujo.
>
> El book decía: ‘La boa constrictora se traga sus presas whole, sin masticarlas. Después ellas son incapaces de movimiento.
> Después ellas sleep por seis meses while hacen la digestión.’
>
> That me puso a pensar sobre todas las cosas que están en la jungle, y, con una crayola, yo hice mi primer dibujo. Lo llamé drawin número uno. Él looked así…

This is more tricky to tag, but again it might be important to tag different spans as one language or another.

Toribio (2001) "Accessing bilingual code-switching competence"
Once upon a time, en un lugar lejano, there was a little girl que se llamaba Caperucita Roja. She liked walking through the forest, escuchando los pajaritos, oliendo las flores, y apreciando la belleza natural.
 One day, su mamá la mando a la casa de su abuelita. She told L.R.R.H. que su abuelita ocupaba some medicine for some sickness. Caperucita went to her grandmother’s house, a llevarle medicina.

Another two cents.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer