Spanglish

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Dec 18 05:05:35 CET 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> We do have the subtag 'mul' (Multiple languages) - would be great if
> it was possible to use that code and also specify which languages it
> contains, something like 'mul-t-en-es'

Well, not -t-. That extension is for transformations, and we aren't
talking about text that was translated, transcribed, etc. to or from
English or Spanish. We're talking about text that is partly in English
and partly in Spanish.

A language tag identifies a single language or language variety. The
subtag 'mul', derived from the ISO 639 code element, is sort of
anomalous to this concept. Creating a new extension to expand this
concept and make it easier to indicate multiple languages in a single
tag doesn't seem likely, especially when most protocols and
specifications have solved this problem by allowing multiple language
tags:

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org