Fire the programmer (was: Re: Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 29 20:25:43 CEST 2016

> By that token, we'd still be back in the pure "xx-yy" era.  And for many purposes that's plenty, but for some it definitely isn't, which is why this group has moved on.  I still find myself catching specs that insist on "xx-yy" as the one true format for language tags.

I'm not suggesting that progress shouldn't be made.  However I'm not hearing clamoring of 1000 problems that the 5 letter tag would solve.  Instead it's being proposed as a one time workaround for something that the group generally considers should have a better solution (3 letter language tag).

Sure, if there's tons of value and it's the right thing, then go ahead and add a bajillion 5 letter tags.  Just make sure that the benefits outweigh the downsides.

-Shawn