Fire the programmer (was: Re: Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Apr 29 20:15:22 CEST 2016

Shawn Steele scripsit:

> IMO, if 5 letter codes, or any codes that break existing patterns,
> are ever defined, we'd better have a really good reason.

By that token, we'd still be back in the pure "xx-yy" era.  And for many
purposes that's plenty, but for some it definitely isn't, which is why
this group has moved on.  I still find myself catching specs that insist on
"xx-yy" as the one true format for language tags.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a [Ww]all that people
have stopped banging their head against?  --Larry