Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Apr 24 19:31:42 CEST 2016

On 24 Apr 2016, at 17:42, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:

> Is this what we are trying to say? It doesn’t mention that the RA previously denied the request, and therefore avoids telling the RA that they made an incorrect decision.

Since we are appealing rather than just asking to be processed in December, I think it’s important that we tell them we don’t think they did the right thing.

> Do we need to be even more delicate than this, and not even ask them to issue a code element, but only suggest abstractly that they might possibly wish to consider additional evidence?

I don’t think we have to be all that delicate. We’re not insulting them. We’re telling them we disagree, and why, and asking for a particular timely remedy.

> It is sometimes difficult to ask someone in writing to overturn their decision without basically telling them their decision was in error. In speech, tone of voice and pauses and eyebrows make this sort of advanced finesse more practical.

I don’t think the letter is rude. We’re offering them feedback based on our opinion. Yes, there’s a conflict, but we’re approaching them to ask for resolution.

Michael