Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sun Apr 24 19:10:18 CEST 2016

The comments about tone aren’t as much about delicacy as about politeness.

Consider the RA’s comments that Mark wrote:

"The request to create the code [ovd] Övdalian is rejected at this point. However, the Registration Authority is sympathetic to the request and notes that the outcome of a future request might be different following further clarification of decision-making principles in the standard that are anticipated to come out of the current work item to produce a revision of the text of the standard."

Are you saying that the RA is wrong about being sympathetic to the request? Of course not. What those who are proponents are saying is that, whatever changes to decision-making principles may be considered, the correct decision in the case of Elfdalian is that it be considered a separate language. And so, you would like the decision to be reconsidered and made on the weight of the linguistic evidence, and that because of the current user needs you would like that decision to be taken soon rather than waiting until 2017.

I suggest Michael and whoever else step into the shoes of the recipient and consider what kind of wording you would find most convincing. And, no, I’m not going to provide text for that because, even though I’m sympathetic to the request, I’m not among those in need of urgent action by the RA.

Additionally, I suggest that you submit the input via the RA’s standard process so that it is publicly visible, and also send email drawing their attention to the submission and requesting expedited action.

Peter