Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian
doug at ewellic.org
Fri Apr 22 23:25:42 CEST 2016
Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Knowing that they intend to act would tend to forestall us issuing a
> nonstandard subtag, but wouldn't address Mats's needs any faster.
> Knowing that they intend not to act would be a useful datapoint. But
> guessing what they might or might not do, particularly in the absence
> of a formal appeal mechanism is difficult.
Other than the term "nonstandard subtag" -- a 5+ letter subtag would be
perfectly standard according to BCP 47, even if not every process would
support it today -- I agree with this.
If we had sent this appeal months ago, and the RA had ignored it or
responded that they were not going to change their decision, either for
the foreseeable future or ever, we would go ahead and register a 5+
If the RA had said yes, we will issue a subtag right this moment, we'd
If the RA had said yes, we will issue a subtag, but not until next year,
we'd grumble but still wait for it.
So, since we know all the possible outcomes, let's go ahead and send the
darned appeal now. Let's not waste more effort playing "what if" or
trying to come up with better wording.
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸
More information about the Ietf-languages