Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Fri Apr 22 21:29:31 CEST 2016

> > But the presentation of an appeal doesn't mean that the RA will have a
> specific urgency to reply to it nor does it mean that they have a mechanism
> whereby they can officially reply more speedily than their normal process.
>
> Erm… I might expect the Registrar to, say, send an e-mail to the other
> members of the RA and ask them to respond. I would not expect the
> Registrar to sit idly and wait for December. That’s what I mean by
> responsiveness.

I think it is likely that any response from RA members without a formal meeting would be, essentially, a set of unofficial individual responses. Standards bodies often make official decisions that are different from the rough consensus of their membership--due to procedural, technical, or other reasoning found only in the formal process.

In addition, in this particular case, I could see the RA responding with something like "we're pretty sure we made a mistake", but not formally issuing a code until the next set of codes were processed (perhaps because they do not have the machinery to do it more than once per year).

Knowing that they intend to act would tend to forestall us issuing a nonstandard subtag, but wouldn't address Mats's needs any faster. Knowing that they intend not to act would be a useful datapoint. But guessing what they might or might not do, particularly in the absence of a formal appeal mechanism is difficult.

Addison