Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Michael Everson everson at
Fri Apr 22 19:37:03 CEST 2016

On 22 Apr 2016, at 18:20, Phillips, Addison <addison at> wrote:

> But the RA's process is reality. We know that their schedule is much slower than ours--and I wouldn't necessarily classify that as "unresponsiveness”. 

So you’re asking Mats to wait until the end of the year, when he might get yet again a “No”?

> Since language subtags are forever, we need to temper a bias for action with some patience for a different standards body and its different cadence. We purposely installed language requiring a rejection from the RA in BCP 47, knowing that it would take time to collect it. The urgency of the request, while seemingly pressing to the requester in this moment, is not more important than the stability of the language tagging system as a whole.

I think it is clear that this particular language should not have been rejected by the RA. Can they not receive an appeal and use e-mail to discuss the matter, and approve the subtag without waiting for the Winter Solstice?

What do you think Mats should do?

Michael Everson *

More information about the Ietf-languages mailing list