Another attempt at plain language

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Tue Sep 15 19:16:27 CEST 2015

I agree.

I also question whether accessibility is a primary driver behind simplified textual variants: I most commonly have seen controlled language as an adjunct to machine translation and as a way of simplifying documentation development in general. That also makes me question the subtag “plain”, since the goal wasn’t necessarily plain-ness. Often the vocabularies I’ve seen used could be highly technical—but with a highly structured, rigidly controlled vocabulary and grammar. There are, of course, other applications for “plain” language variations…

Maybe more to the point: I see ‘plain’ as a kind of private agreement about a language variation (John Cowan has already pointed out that all language tags are a kind of “private agreement in public”). The question I have is whether there is value to a *generic* (no prefix field) subtag (this list has historically been allergic to these, not that this means we can’t make such a one: we’re just downright cautious about making them) that might interfere with other language negotiation, given that in many cases there will not be an “xx-notplain” flavor of text corresponding to the “xx-plain” and which might also be selected.