Subtag registration: Russian transliteration of Chinese

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Oct 13 20:21:12 CEST 2015

> “Eto obrezets prigovor” is in no way English.

I agree. It's a bit of a gray area, because "Gorbachev" is definitely an
English word, though originally Russian, just as "Athens" is an English
word, though originally Greek.

We choose to use the direction we did because the primary use case for
transformations is for place names and person names, and because it also
works better for script transforms: und-Cyrl-t-und-Latn is marking text
that is *in* Cyrillic, though originally from English.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge.

Mark