Side note: "the people at IANA" (was: Re: Current requests)

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:43:51 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 6:29 AM Luc Pardon <lucp at skopos.be> wrote:

> It would certainly take more than waving
> a few RFC's at the judge.
> Would that happen only after they (or ICANN) are actually sued?

I suspect if ICANN were sued, the legal power they responded with would be
as mighty as any seen on behalf of a nonprofit. If the EFF wasn't enough,
and then Microsoft and Google and friends (who really don't want judges
meddling in this stuff) aren't enough, well, the US government gave up
power over ICANN reluctantly less then 10 years ago, and has little intent
on letting anyone else take power. Moreover, I think ICANN can't afford to
let such saber-rattling shake it; there's too much at stake.

In any case, what would the case be? ICANN has created a way to label text
using this orthography which can be used with gl, but refuses to put gl in
the list of recommended usages (with it automatically being a permitted
one)? What is possible judicable about that?