Current requests (was: Re: Third correction to 'ao1990' : Prefix field - addition of 'gl')

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed May 20 05:18:49 CEST 2015

Michael's conclusion may actually valid, though I don't know that I agree with his reasoning.

If a user needs to tag some document as gl-ao1990, there is nothing whatsoever that prevents them from doing that now, without the change Luc has requested, and that tag would be fully valid. All that is lacking by non-addition of the prefix tag is drawing attention to gl-*-ao1990 as a use case that's significant enough to have been called out in the registry.

Now, Michael says, "... users haven't shown a need, and ... there's nothing so far official about this practice..." There are a couple of fallacies here. First, nothing _needs_ to be official to provide sufficient justification for adding a prefix tag. Secondly, the existing of even one online publication using this orthography (provided it is, in fact, using this orthography) is a self-evident demonstration that there _is an existing need_.

But there can still be a gap between the minimum demonstration for a tag combining gl with ao1990 and whatever is the minimum case needed to warrant declaration of gl as a prefix for ao1990 in the registry. Our problem is that we don't have any clearly stated minimal criteria for this.

Having said that, my perspective is that if there is some identifiable user community for gl-ao1990, then I think that's a sufficient condition for listing gl as a prefix for ao1990.

Peter