Current requests (was: Re: Third correction to 'ao1990' : Prefix field - addition of 'gl')

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 20 02:35:58 CEST 2015

On 20 May 2015, at 01:22, David Starner <prosfilaes at gmail.com> wrote:

> What does official orthography have to do with anything? We went from ISO 639-2 to ISO 639-3 despite the fact that what, maybe a dozen of those hundreds of new languages are official anywhere? That one newspaper has probably exceeded the entire volume of works printed in most of those new languages, and several of the scripts in ISO 15924. The standard here seems quite high.

I am not convinced that the practice of one online publication, particularly in the absence of any information about this in other Galician sources, is sufficient grounds in this case. Is Luc asking for this because he actually needs to tag this data? On the 26th of March he pointed out that they “would need” but “don’t” tag their data. I don’t think that’s enough.

Since the users haven’t shown a need, and since there’s nothing so far official about this practice, I don’t see a good case for adding Galician to this record at this time.