Offline: Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 24 17:34:57 CET 2015

I just realized that Michael forked this thread offline with about a dozen subsequent mails that most of the list will not have seen. The start of this off-list discussion is below.

I'd like to publicly comment on this:

> Yes, if the reviewer objects there isn't consensus.

That is not an appropriate way to treat consensus in any standardization practice. It's not ISO practice; it's not IETF practice. Michael well knows that, in ISO, no working group convenor, committee chair or national body ever has veto power, and that consensus is not required to be unanimous. I think the Language Subtag Reviewer needs to be able to separate their role as individual voice from their role as administrator.

Peter