ISO 639-3 changes

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Fri Jan 23 20:12:12 CET 2015

Den 2015-01-19 23:29, skrev "Phillips, Addison" <addison at lab126.com>:

>> There are a couple of new issues this year. One involves the use of "click"
>> letters ǀ, ǁ, ǂ, and ǃ for certain African languages instead of ASCII
>> fallbacks.
>> The RA has added a code element for ǂUngkue, using the real letter ǂ
>> instead of a fallback like =/Ungkue, because the database used by the RA
>> now supports them. The RA is not changing the spelling of any existing
>> names for now. We have always used the ASCII fallbacks in the Registry
>> because they were what the RA used; now may be the time to reopen the
>> question of whether to use the real letters uniformly, use ASCII fallbacks
>> uniformly, or include both.
>
> I tend to favor the use of the real letters, with my second choice being
> including both.

I agree. Here's a list:

Subtag: oun
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C3 (ǃ) LATIN LETTER RETROFLEX CLICK

Subtag: nmn
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C3 (ǃ) LATIN LETTER RETROFLEX CLICK

Subtag: hnh
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C1 (ǁ) LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK

Subtag: gnk
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C1 (ǁ) LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK

Subtag: xeg
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C1 (ǁ) LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK

Subtag: gwj
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C0 (ǀ) LATIN LETTER DENTAL CLICK

Subtag: xam
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C0 (ǀ) LATIN LETTER DENTAL CLICK

Subtag: huc
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C2 (ǂ) LATIN LETTER ALVEOLAR CLICK

Subtag: aue
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C2 (ǂ) LATIN LETTER ALVEOLAR CLICK, U+01C1 (ǁ) LATIN LETTER LATERAL
CLICK
The apostrophes should probably be fixed as well (ʼ).

Subtag: hgm
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C1 (ǁ) LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK

Subtag: ktz
Added: 2009-07-29
U+01C0 (ǀ) LATIN LETTER DENTAL CLICK
The apostrophe should probably be fixed as well (ʼ).

Subtag: gfx
Added: 2012-08-12
U+01C3 (ǃ) LATIN LETTER RETROFLEX CLICK

Subtag: ngh