registration requests re Portuguese

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 15 04:29:50 CEST 2015

>... but I have seen discussion which contradicts that.

Are you monitoring a different list than I am? Several people have stated that they believe the correct prefix value in the record for ao1990 is "pt".

> the fact that some countries have refused the “agreement” entirely is also of concern.

As several have stated, it is not our job or the purpose of the registry to track that kind of status.

BCP 47 sanctions "fr-CA", and it is entirely feasible that the government of Canada or of Québec could dictate tomorrow or two years from now that French should no longer be spoken (hypothetical scenario, clearly). Or (more likely scenario) they could dictate that some policy regarding lexicon or spelling be observed (or not observed). Not only would we _not reflect_ in the registry the impact for content tagged "fr-CA", we cannot since we have no mechanism to do so. But that's not a problem in the design of the registry because it was never the intent to have the registry track things of that nature.

Peter