ISO 3166 adopts "Cabo Verde"

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Mar 7 21:24:41 CET 2014

On November 3, I wrote:

> The United Nations Statistics Division has changed the name associated
> with code element 132 from "Cape Verde" to "Cabo Verde" as of November
> 1.
>
> There has been no corresponding change yet in ISO 3166-1 for code
> element 'CV'. When this kind of thing happens, it usually takes ISO
> 3166/MA a few weeks to a few months to follow suit.

ISO 3166/MA has now changed the short name for this code element to
"Cabo Verde" and the long name to "the Republic of Cabo Verde."

Changes like this are no longer available via simple, free-of-charge
update notices, as they were until last month, when ISO switched to
their Online Browsing Platform (OBP). Update notifications are now
available only to those who pay an annual fee of 300 CHF (246 EUR, 342
USD). As it happened, I was going through old posts to this list and
just decided to check.

The OBP page for 'CV' is at https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:CV
(you might need a free online account to see this) and includes this
item:

Change history of country code
Effective date of change Short description of change (en) Short
description of change (fr)
[...]
2013-11-26 UN notification of name change for both short and full names
Notification de l'ONU changement de la forme courte et longue du nom

Thus the MA is effectively citing November 26 as the date of the change,
even though freely downloadable files (HTML, XML, and
semicolon-delimited text) were available into late January, and those
files still listed "Cape Verde" as the name.

As I wrote in November, the change to the Language Subtag Registry that
I propose is to add "Cabo Verde" as the first Description field for this
region subtag, and keep "Cape Verde" as the second Description field. I
don't remember seeing any particular opposition to this, although there
was discussion about tangential topics. I'll send a record and
registration form to this list soon.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell