Record and registration form for 'unifon'

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Sep 23 22:49:09 CEST 2013

Gordon P. Hemsley scripsit:

> Maybe others disagree, but it doesn't seem right to me to introduce a
> subtag for a script that is not yet in Unicode. Is there precedent for
> that?

If you compare <http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/smp> (current and planned
Unicode allocations) with <http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-en.html>
(current script tags), you can see that there are quite a few scripts
which have tags but aren't yet in Unicode.  Examples:  Linear A (Lina),
Nabatean (Nbat), Old North Arabian (Narb), Mayan Hieroglyphs (Maya).
After all, you don't have to be able to read Linear A (no one can as yet)
to know whether a document is in Linear A script or not.

John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
The Penguin shall hunt and devour all that is crufty, gnarly and
bogacious; all code which wriggles like spaghetti, or is infested with
blighting creatures, or is bound by grave and perilous Licences shall it
capture.  And in capturing shall it replicate, and in replicating shall
it document, and in documentation shall it bring freedom, serenity and
most cool froodiness to the earth and all who code therein.  --Gospel of Tux