Unifon script?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Oct 4 00:35:24 CEST 2013

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> 1. Japanese.
> 2. Not only that, but Japanese in the Latin script.
> 3. Not only that, but using the 1997 ALA-LC romanization.
>
> A phonetic alphabet doesn't exhibit quite the same hierarchy:
>
> 1. English (or Russian or whatever).
> 2. Not only that, but English in the Latin script.
> 3. Not only that, but in IPA (or Unifon).
>
> IPA and Unifon are *based on* Latin, to be sure, but I don't see the
> same straight-line relationship as the one that exists from Latin to a
> romanization. Others may see it.

My take on it is that IPA and Unifon *are* Latin orthographies, which
makes these two cases entirely parallel.  The fact that they use unusual
characters doesn't matter: their characters belong to the Latin script
still.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Original line from The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold: