Proposed general model for Serbo-Croatian continuum

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Nov 22 17:26:37 CET 2013

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> That, and I don't like the perception that -Latn and -Cyrl are
> specifically being RECOMMENDED (§ 3.1.8) for use with these variant
> subtags, when if anything, a script subtag would be *less*
> appropriate with a variant that indicates pronunciation.

Sure, and if it were just pronunciation, I'd be totally on your side.
But it's spelling conventions too.  Any word with a historic yat vowel in
it has two different valid spellings (but they must be used consistently
in any one document).

Thus "The child drank milk" is "Dete pio mleko" (or at least Google
Translate thinks it is, but I don't trust it to get inflections right --
it's probably more pidgin Serbian than actual Serbian) in sr-Latn-ekavsk,
but "Dijete pio mlijeko" ini sr-Latn-ijekavsk.  "Dijete pio mleko"
would be incorrectly spelled.

--
John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The present impossibility of giving a scientific explanation is no proof