[webfinger] Language tag too specific (Was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger-10.txt> (WebFinger) to Proposed Standard

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Mar 18 03:28:09 CET 2013

On 2013/03/16 1:02, Mike Jones wrote:
> I'll raise a related issue - the case of characters used in language tag values.  Given that "en-us" and "en-US" are different JSON values, it's important for people to spell language tag values in a consistent way.

Hello Mike,

Language tags are case-insensitive, so whether it says "en-US" or
"en-us" (or any other combination of caps and lower case), the final
result (that those people who prefer English as used in the US get to
see the title version that's labeled "en-US" or "en-us") should be the same.

Of course, it might be that there are two separate titles with match
case-insensitively. Here's an example:

"titles" :
             {
                 "en-us" : "The Magical Theater of Bob",
                 "en-gb" : "The magical theatre of Bob",
                 "en-GB" : "The Magical Theatre of Bob",
                 "fr" : "Le Théâtre Magique de Bob"
             }

While the author might have intended for the user to select the lower
case or the titlecase version of the title, that just won't work. So I
guess we should call out this case and prohibit it for producers.

But I don't see the reason to specify that everybody has to use "en-GB";
using "en-gb" only should just do as well.

Regards,   Martin.