Language tag too specific (Was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger-10.txt> (WebFinger) to Proposed Standard

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Mar 15 16:18:47 CET 2013

Another issue with language tags in draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger-11.txt:

> "titles" :
>           {
>               "en-us" : "The Magical World of Bob",
>               "fr" : "Le Monde Magique de Bob"
>           }

I understand that the purpose of the example is to show that you are
not limited to the primary langauge subtag, you can add other subtags
(here, the region "us"). But the example is not well chosen. RFC 5646 says:

>      Use as precise a tag as possible, but no more specific than is
>      justified.  Avoid using subtags that are not important for
>      distinguishing content in an application.
>
>       * For example, 'de' might suffice for tagging an email written
>          in German, while "de-CH-1996" is probably unnecessarily
>          precise for such a task.

Which seems to apply exactly here (there is nothing US-specific in the
sentence). May be, instead:

"titles" :
           {
               "en-us" : "The Magical Theater of Bob",