Fourth batch of ISO 639-3 modifications

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Aug 31 00:08:13 CEST 2013

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Doug,  one more question: why is "Dhangu" retained as an additional
> name for code element 'dhg'??
> There is nothing in the ISO change  file to say it should be retained
> (see Change Request # 2012-047 in the .pdf file
> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/639-3_ChangeRequests_2012_Sum&Add.pdf),
> nor in the original change request:
> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2012-047.pdf

That's correct. This is because, again, the data files are the normative
source for ISO 639-3 data, not the change request forms (which may
contain requests that are not accepted by the RA), and not the Summary
of Outcomes PDF document (which may contain errors or omissions).

The file iso-639-3.tab (formerly called iso-639-3_20130531.tab)
contains:

dhg				I	L	Djangu

which means "Djangu" is the reference name (for an Individual Living
language). And the file iso-639-3_Name_Index.tab (formerly called
iso-639-3_Name_Index_20130520.tab) contains:

dhg	Dhangu	Dhangu
dhg	Djangu	Djangu

which means "Dhangu" is an alternate name.

I am beginning to think it was a mistake to include a link to the
original change request in each registration form, since it seems to be
giving the impression that the change requests are authoritative in some
way. They are input to the RA's process, but not to ours. They are
interesting as background material on the language(s) involved. Next
year I will try to make the roles of the various documents more clear.

http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/download.asp

> (I still may look over the fourth, fifth, and sixth batches of subtag
> modifications a bit more but have been through most everything now;
> which is a good feeling, as just reading through these is tedious. )

Imagine preparing them.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­