Early Modern English

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Jan 13 01:56:02 CET 2012

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> How many languages L are there, besides English, that have a variety
> commonly referred to as "Early Modern L"?  In other words, how much
> misappropriation do we really risk by registering something like
> 'earlymod'?

Wikipedia has an "Early New High German" article, and a section in the
History of the Welsh Language" article called "Early Modern Welsh".
The former says:

        The term is the standard translation of the German
        Frühneuhochdeutsch (Fnhd.), introduced by Scherer. The term
        Early Modern High German is also occasionally used for this
        period (but the abbreviation EMHG is generally used for Early
        Middle High German).

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <cowan at ccil.org>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram