Early Modern English

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jan 12 19:51:02 CET 2012

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> 1611kjv or 1623skak [shak?] or 1590spen ?

Any of those would be about equally satisfactory, or not, for the same
reasons. I've also seen "Elizabethan English" and "Tudor English" to
describe this variety and disengage it from any one author or work. So
'elizabet' and 'tudor' might be other possibilities.

I've often said the exact subtag value isn't as important as the
existence and recognized meaning of a subtag, and probably shouldn't
change my tune now that I'm proposing the subtag. I'd like prospective
users of the subtag not to have to say "Huh?" when they see it.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell