gender voice variants

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Dec 20 05:03:36 CET 2012

Milos Rancic scripsit:

> However, gender [1] is a quite complex category, if we are talking
> about all languages.

I think grammatical gender is not essential to this at all: we are talking
about men's speech vs. women's speech.  The differences may depend on
vocabulary, on grammatical gender, on intonation, or any other points
of distinction between language varieties.  How marked the distinction
is depends on the language, but I don't know any language in which there
is no distinction at all.

--
John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Nobody expects the RESTifarian Inquisition!  Our chief weapon is