proposed ISO 639 change for "arn"

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Dec 11 20:58:14 CET 2012

"Gordon P. Hemsley" <gphemsley at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I was under the impression that "macrolanguage" was for languages that
> were genetically related and "collection" was for languages that are
> commonly grouped together for reasons other than genetic relationship
> (e.g. location of use). That understanding does not coincide with the
> way you just explained it.

A macrolanguage is defined as ISO 639-3 defines it. To be a
macrolanguage, the entity must be perceived, for whatever reason, as a
single language in some scenarios and as multiple languages in other
scenarios. It is not a special type of collection.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­