Nepali Extension Language Question (WAS: Review period; Nepali and Oriya)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Aug 8 02:11:49 CEST 2012

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>> Perhaps in the future, I should add the Change Request number to each
>> registration form, so reviewers can more easily find these pages.
>
> (More work for you? Let me know if you want me to do this in the
> future. Thanks.
> Maybe I should do it for these recently approved changes sometime this
> week. I can at least do that.)

It shouldn't be necessary for any of them. All ISO 639-3 info for a
given code element can be found by visiting:

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=xxx

substituting the actual 3-letter code element for the 'xxx'. This works
even with ISO 639-2 and 639-5 collection code elements, though not with
2-letter ISO 639-1 code elements. In most cases, the RA's page contains
a link to an Ethnologue page with even more information about the
language (though of course it is not the only source).

> I note that the change request [for Oriya] indicated much more shared
> vocabulary between Sambalpuri and the rest of the Oriyan language than
> was noted between Dotyali and Nepali, but finally the request said
> (rather flatly) that this was so because both were related albeit via
> Sanskrit.
> So I don't know in this case what to do.

In that case, I recommend you do nothing. If anyone here does have
knowledge of the Nepali or Oriya situation, they should speak up.
Otherwise, we will not add the extlangs.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­