Portuguese subtags

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Sep 14 19:16:12 CEST 2011

On 14 Sep 2011, at 17:13, João Miguel Neves wrote:

> I understand that António doesn't like the official vocabulary

So do I.

> and I know for a fact that he's not alone. That doesn't change the fact that
> it's the official wordlist for public education and, from January 1st,
> all the public administration in Portugal.

OK, so where's the list? Not the decree. The specification. The thing you can turn to to make sure that you're spelling a given word correctly. Is there such a source? If not, then there is nothing reliable to point an orthography subtag to, and that is problematic.

> I honestly haven't found any language change, dictionary or vocabulary
> that isn't a target of criticism. I'm not knowledgeable enough to check
> the merit of António and other's criticism.

Stipulated. That's fine.

> The VOP (Vocabulário Ortográfico Português) is the only official reference I know of. I will
> use it on the template. If the group decides that this is not enough, I'll just drop the matter and use non-official tags. At least I learned a lot in the discussion.

Is that a particular publication, say, with an ISBN?