draft-davis-t-langtag-ext

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Jul 9 09:31:06 CEST 2011

I think this needs more thought.

On the one hand, a transcription or transliteration conceptually can be considered just an orthographic convention for writing a language (albeit with characteristics or subject to rules not generally applicable to orthographies in the narrower sense), and the currently-available mechanisms are adequate for capturing orthographic distinctions.

On the other hand, this proposal would allow for reference to a source that is distinct from the primary language subtag, but only in relation to written form. However, in speech applications, the equivalent may also be necessary; for example, one might create a speech recognizer that is tailored specifically for 2nd-language speakers who are 1st-language speakers of a particular language (e.g. a recognizer for "English spoken with a Chinese accent"). Because this proposal makes reference to transcription and transliteration, it would appear not to allow for such scenarios, even though the requirements might be very similar. I think consideration should be given to whether a single solution that encompasses speech as well as written scenarios would be more appropriate.

Peter