Language subtag registration for acor1971

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Wed Aug 24 18:11:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm thinking this tag should be changed from acor1971 to refo1971 (from
Agreement to Reform). Explaining the reasoning below:

I made a mistake in believing an encyclopedia that there was an
agreement between Portugal and Brazil in 1971, but researching further
lead me to conclude that no such agreement existed. Confirmed by 3
different sources the chronology for the 1971/1973 changes is as follows:

Ortographic Agreement between Portugal and Brazil in 1931. Official
lexicon released in Portugal in 1940 and in Brazil in 1943.

Given the differences, there was a new agreement in 1945, that was
implemented in Portugal, but not in Brazil.

Without an official agreement between Portugal and Brazil, in 1971
Brazil implemented a set of changes to the language, that Portugal
matched in 1973 by publishing a one paragraph change (the one referred
in the PDF) that was responsible for eliminating 70% of the differences
between both countries lexicons.

This is why I think it makes sense to call it a reform and not an agreement.

Comments/suggestions?
João Miguel Neves