Variant subtag request: iso91995

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Sep 18 20:13:37 CEST 2010

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> In this case, we would have to do something like "isocyr95", since
>> ISO 9 is specifically for all languages using Cyrillic scripts. This
>> pattern would work well, I think, for the other ISO transliteration
>> schemes. I do wish we could get the standard number into the subtag,
>> but there's just not room.
>
> If it's to refer to a script, the four-letter code would be better:
> iscyrl95 or isocyrl95

Y'all can see what a mess this is becoming.

Are we all decided that it is absolutely, positively wrong to consider
introducing an extension mechanism for all sorts of transliteration,
romanization, etc. schemes?  I've suggested this at various times in the
past and nobody was interested in this or any other extension, but now
that Mark's extension for CLDR attributes is about to be published and
Addison has said on-list that "perhaps it would be better" to have such
an extension, it might gain more traction.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­