Variant subtag request: iso91995

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Sep 16 06:41:51 CEST 2010

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>>> Doug might propose a Ewellic script tag here, mightn't he?
>>
>> In fact no.  The assumption is that ISO 15924/RA can act in all such
>> cases.
>
> The ISO 15924/RA might reject Ewellic.

I would expect the RA to do so, and then I would have a few options:

(a) request a variant subtag on this list (so "en-ewellic")
(b) create a private-use subtag ("en-x-ewellic")
(c) use a script subtag from the ISO 15924 private-use area ("en-Qabe")

Whenever I tag Ewellic-script text, which isn't all that often, I go
with option (c).  See also http://www.ewellic.org/conscript-15924.html .

2- and 3-letter language subtags, extended language subtags, script
subtags, and region subtags can only come from the core standards; they
can never be registered as a result of user requests the way we register
variant subtags.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­