suppress-script values for fil, mi, pes, prs, qu members

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 21 05:56:25 CEST 2010

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> How have I not shown actual need?
>
> I've identified a set of languages without s-s fields for which ll-CC
> (e.g. quz-PE) tags _are_ in use in _real_ implementations, hence
> setting up exactly the same conditions for these languages that made
> the compelling case to create all the existing s-s fields.
>
> I've pointed out that we are working on _real_ implementations that
> need to be able to compare tags of the form ll with tags of the form
> ll-Ssss (e.g. quz and quz-Latn), or tags of the form ll-CC and tags of
> the form ll-Ssss-CC or ll-Ssss (e.g. quz-PE and quz-Latn-PE or
> quz-Latn).

If these "real implementations" are for identifying and searching
linguistic content, then I think the proposed S-S values are probably a
good idea and "support" them (for whatever that's worth).  If they are
for determining keyboard layouts and font assignments and "binding to
locale data" — none of which is what the Registry is for, IMHO — then I
think they are probably not.

Either way, I will do whatever clerk work is needed, though strictly
speaking, Section 3.5 tends to imply that the requester should bear much
of the brunt.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­