LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: respell (was '...vowels')

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Oct 15 17:38:35 CEST 2010

Exactly. When people write in a field the pronunciation of their name, it
may not be following any set system; the only thing they need is for it to
be understandable. That is exactly the purpose behind having the general
tag.

The second reason is that if and when specific respelling system names need
to be registered, this also provides a basis for lookup and matching: if you
see en-respell-XXXX, even if you don't know the system XXXX, you know that
the content is a respelling.

Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*